These traditional celebrations are infused with humor and speak to the nature of the youth in attendance. Even if you’re not a natural comedian, these funny graduation speech ideas can help you get started.
Funny High School Graduation Speech #1 – Finding Out Who You Are
What is our identity? I think that’s a great question. Our lives have been spent preparing for that, but it’s not something you can Google. If you want to Google it, make sure you turn on the safe search first. You never know what your results will be.
It’s Okay to Not Know
Despite this, Google won’t tell us what our passion is. We won’t find out who we are from it. Some of us know (your parents are breathing a sigh of relief right now), while others don’t (sorry Mom and Dad).
It’s okay if we don’t know what we want to be when we grow up. You may not think so when you’re on your fourth major and your parents are paying your tuition, but it’s okay.
A New Chapter and Finding Your Passion
We have turned a page in our lives after high school. Now that we have reached adulthood, it is time to find our passion. It’s time to find out what we want to be if we haven’t already, or follow our dreams if we have.
Parents, open up your wallets because studying philosophy isn’t cheap.
Thank You All
Your passion and dedication have helped us realize that being first in line isn’t a life or death matter. I appreciate you understanding that dogs can eat anything, from homework to gym shorts. It’s true.
Thank you for putting up with our nose picking days and hormonal breakdowns. You have been our rock throughout it all. We thank you all for helping us answer the question of who we are as we walk out of this school.
Humorous Sample Speech #2 – Learn From Your Mistakes
All of us make mistakes from time to time. There is no doubt in my mind that I have. While I think I did Shelly a favor by stealing her boyfriend in 3rd grade, I definitely made a mistake. Although staying up the night before ACTs was a mistake, I’m standing here so it wasn’t that bad.
There have been mistakes I have made. Over the course of my short 18 years, I have made hundreds, no thousands, okay maybe millions, of mistakes, including the funny student council speech I gave my sophomore year that was more stupid than funny.
Mistakes Help You Grow
Is there anything I have learned from them all? Most likely not. It was more often than not mistakes that helped me grow. 13 hours and four speeches later, I learned that volunteering to give a graduation speech wasn’t the best idea.
However, I’m killing it right now, so it’s time well spent. In addition, I learned that I probably won’t volunteer for this again. As you can see, mistakes are all about learning.
New Adventure – New Mistakes
We will make mistakes as we embark on this new adventure in our lives, some call it being a grown-up, I call it the end of freeloading. We will choose the wrong major and have to pay thousands more in student loans, but we will become more frugal.
I think we’ll just learn how to live on Ramen, but who knows. It is inevitable that we will miss deadlines and be late, but all these things will make us grow and change. We will be defined by our mistakes as much as by our successes.
Thank You All
Therefore, it is better to be flawed than perfect. Thank you, parents and teachers, for allowing us to make mistakes. We are grateful to you for molding us into the imperfect creatures we are today. Thank you for allowing us to learn from our mistakes as we move forward.
Customization Options for the Funniest Graduation Speech
All of the sample speeches are general enough to be used for graduations at most schools. For an original speech, you can modify both samples as follows:
- Using words like high school or senior class instead of high school terminology
- Incorporating personal stories or examples
- When appropriate, include funny sound effects and facial expressions
- Closing statements or greetings can be changed
Tips for a Great Speech
Speaking in front of a large crowd, especially in front of people you know well, can be challenging, especially if you plan to surprise them with a funny speech. Using these suggestions and ideas will help you prepare so that your speech gets the positive response you desire.
Bits of Humor
Adding humor to a speech doesn’t require you to be known for it, but there is a right way and a wrong way to do it. Graduation speeches that are funny grab the attention of the audience and engage them in the ceremony.
Adding humor that is well-timed, appropriate, and funny can, however, be challenging. When planning your speech, keep these points in mind.
- It’s all about timing. Determine where humor will work best in your speech before you deliver it.
- The best sources for funny stories are classmates and faculty members. Consider funny moments at school that involved others.
- Find funny quotes, jokes, sayings, poems, song lyrics, or even newspaper headlines that relate to the ceremony. Make sure they complement the occasion.
- It’s okay to talk about yourself, especially embarrassing moments you might have had during your academic career.
- Storytelling is important. Even if you don’t try to inject humor, you might find that your stories about your graduating class, faculty, and administration are funny.
- Discuss topics that everyone knows, such as politics or pop culture. Consider popular TV shows, bands, movie stars, etc. Remind the audience of fads that were popular during your graduating class’s time in school. Tell us a funny story relating to this theme.
It’s a good idea to practice your speech several times before the actual ceremony. Additionally, you should:
- Send a copy of your speech to the principal and any other faculty members involved in the ceremony. Your speech should be approved by them before you deliver it.
- Make sure you practice your speech in front of several friends and get their honest feedback.
- In order to emphasize the funny parts of a speech, it is important to stress certain words.
- Focus on stories that aren’t just about you and your friends. Your school should include as many groups as possible. All of your audience should be reached, not just some of them.
- A funny graduation speech should not be rude or cruel. If you or your friends dislike a teacher or principal, don’t use this time to ridicule them. Make sure your speech material is appropriate.
- There is a fine line between poking fun at something or someone and being offensive. Your speech should be tactful and considerate.
A Fun Way to Say Goodbye
During your graduation speech, you can summarize your experiences over the past few years and close this chapter of your life. Make the speech a memorable experience by infusing it with humor, ingenuity, and youthful spirit.
All you have to do now is prepare your graduation thank you speech for your loved ones.